Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Gobble Gobble Foil and "Grubble"

I hope everyone reading this has a wonderful Thanksgiving Day, even if you happen to live outside the USA Thanksgiving holiday "borders".

I have to work on Thanksgiving. Holidays are rotated, so this year I have Christmas off. With all my kids back in the area, I'm glad to have that time so we can be together that day. We're not expecting an easy day Thursday. The patient load is very high right now, and we're short staffed, so I'm really not even sure I'll be out of work in time to join Robert's family for Thanksgiving. As long as he brings me some turkey, though, I'll be fine. Que sera sera.

If you're still looking for gift ideas for Christmas, I've got a recommendation. Ask for one of those full body heat/massage units. Put it on your couch, or bed and zone out to soothing massage from head to toes! Robert bought one of these for me for my birthday. I've been trying to spend at least 15 minutes on it when I get home from work each day. It's been a great place for meditation, too! And, it wasn't too expensive, either - under $40. Since my phlebotomy job requires me to bend over patients in bed, it's been a wonderful way to get those kinks out! (Sidebar to Bill - this might be one idea your wife would be crazy about! )

Lyn called last night to chat a bit. She put Luke on the phone. He was excited. "Hi Gamma! I wode on duh mewwy go wound at the mawl!" (Okay, okay, I get a kick out of the kid being able to have conversations of a sort.) He's been afraid of the merry go round and until yesterday refused to ride the thing unless Mom or Dad was *right* next to him.

And, I heard that Anna, our 14 year old high school freshman made the guidance counselor spit his soda across the room this week. Seems that Anna decided it was never too soon to find out what she needed to do to get into the college of her choice. The guidance counselor apparently asked Anna where she thought she might want to go for college and took a drink of pop - then sprayed it all over the room when Anna replied she planned on going either to Harvard or Yale. LOL

My "assignment" for Thanksgiving is to bring dinner rolls and a pie. There are going to be two pecan pies and one pumpkin pie there, so I'm going to make a chocolate mandarin orange torte. I hope it will be a nice option for anyone who doesn't want pie.

I'm not sure how widespread this tradition is throughout the US, but around here, it is traditional for one of the area FM radio stations to play Arlo Guthrie's song, Alice's Restaurant. (Check your local Fox radio stations in case: a. You're interested, and b: You have another 20 minutes in the car before arriving at your destination.)
It's become a goofy tradition in our family to listen to this song and belt out at the top of our lungs, "You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant!" One year, the song led to a tremendous discussion about the Viet Nam war and the whole hippie era. Robert talked about the war and I talked about what other people did during the hippie days...WHAT? You thought I'd tell the kids that their mom was quite the wylde chylde in those days? Anyway, airtime on the song has been around noon here.

More later when I have time to spare! Happy Thanksgiving!

7 comments:

Jude said...

"chocolate mandarin orange torte"????

Me want some.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Tracey said...

Ooohhh that torte sounds delish!

Don't work yourself into the ground lady! Happy Turkey Day and i'll holler at you soon!

Hippie Christian said...

Hey, check out my blog entry Hippie Thanksgiving Tradition, it isn't Thanksgiging at our house either without Arlo!

Be a blessing and be blessed!

Peace, Love, and Light through Jesus the Christ! (John 14:6)

Kevin
www.hippiechristian.blogspot.com

Kate said...

Jude said:
"chocolate mandarin orange torte"????
Tracey said:
Ooohhh that torte sounds delish!


If it turns out, I'll post the recipe for you if you like!

Kate said...

Kevin said:
Hey, check out my blog entry Hippie Thanksgiving Tradition, it isn't Thanksgiging at our house either without Arlo!


Thanks for stopping by, Kevin! Welcome! I'll check out your blog in a day or two when I get a chance to just browse for a bit.

Do you remember tha actual movie "Alice's Restaurant"? I remember watching it in the theater and getting a kick out of all the folks in my redneck hometown getting all bent out of shape over the clothes and the language, not to mention the political viewpoints!

Of course, I watched people walk out of the theater when Jimi Hendrix played his rendition of "The Star Spangled Banner", too. I thought it was awesome...others thought it was sacreligious!

Jude said...

Oh yes Kate, would you please post the recipe??

Tracey said...

Okay, Jimi was before my time, but i've always wondered what the big fuss was about him playing S.S.B.??? The man was a guitar genius, and I always thought he did an excellent interpretation.

And to echo Jude....I'd love the recipe too!