Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Woe is me...

Well.

I guess it's time to tell you all a secret. I don't think he *meant* to spill the beans, but somehow Trucker Bob found out about that Dorian Grey type painting I've been desperately trying to keep covered in the darkest reaches of the furthest corner of the basement.

I thought I had it hidden so well, too. I knew if anyone *ever* saw a glimmer of the thing, they'd be curious and want to look underneath the heavy canvas I'd tried to cover the thing up with.

But, somehow he found out and took a peek at the thing. I don't know who told him it was there. *sighs* It means I'll have to change my life for sure. The problem with this picture compared to Dorian Grey's portrait is that when it is exposed to light things have to change for once shown the glimmer of daylight, pieces begin to move around, to shift to an updated way of thinking. I'll have to give up some of that stuff I've been falling comfortably into. You know...things like instant hot chocolate on a cold winter evening, or a steady diet of dramatic movies, or...gods help us...sweatshirts that make my kids roll their eyes and yell at me for dressing like *my* mother....

It's better that I make a clean breast of it and confess: I've been letting myself fall into the trap of 'thinking old' far too often. I've been accepting "convenient" in places where convenience is just not a good idea!

So, just how did Bob get the blame for this? Let me show you his response to something I said on his blog:

Is that any way for a staid, conservative, Iowan wife and mother to talk?

Yeah, he said those very words. Iowa wife and mother and even grandmother I can accept. Conservative - hmmmm...maybe a good portion of the time I'd agree with that.

But...STAID?

My dictionary states three definitions of the word 'staid': 1. of decorous, sedate or solemn character; 2. fixed, settled, or permanent;

And, last but not least: 3. ARCHAIC

Oh gods.

I've got to get out more.

I REALLY have to get out more. Gotta clean the closet and burn those old lady clothes. Gotta stop by the liquor store and get some schnapps for the hot chocolate. Hell, might as well pick up some Glen Morangie while I'm there. I know TW would help me drink that. I wonder if there's a store at the mall for boy toys? That'd be better than watching movies, wouldn't it? LOL

Maybe it's time for me to get that new tattoo I've been thinking about. Maybe it's time to dye my hair red again.

Argh. So many decisions to make.

7 comments:

Jude said...

Hell woman, I like you just as you are. Staid? No, "comfortable within yourself" is what I'd say.
Hey, if you want to spiffy up your life in spots that's okay too, but just don't go around thinking that you NEED to. You da bomb just as you are. :-)

Tracey said...

I'm having flashbacks of an old Billy Joel tune....

"I love you just the way you are..."

If you feel the need to snazz a few things around thats great, but we love you just how you are now. An excellent friend with a beautiful soul and spirit, not to mention that big ol' soft heart!

((((hugs))))

Kate said...

You mean you are "buying" my tongue-in-cheek story?

*giggling* Now I can't decide if I'm a really good writer to make you believe I was serious, or such a bad one that I couldn't get my point across!

Jude said...

Oh shit....you mean we've been HAD??? LOL!!

Tracey said...

Just goes to show you what good friends you have as we take everything you say to heart! ;)

Melanie said...

Good one Kate. And take my word for it, you're an excellent writer.

Kate said...

*clears throat*

Just thought I would mention that I *did* get about 4 inches cut off my mane, and would you believe that person who resides in this house along with me didn't even notice? I also covered the grey - a lovely new color called "chocolate cherry" Looks good, but I miss the highlights, but I'll put those back in when the weather gets warmer. It's a good false illusion that I *do* go outside once in awhile. LOL