Friday, September 30, 2005

So begins the turning wheel...

There won't be much in this post. I'm actually going to drag myself out of the house on a day off and meet a friend for a quick lunch...one of those we *say* will be quick but might take several hours! We'll see. I haven't seen him since May.

In about 31.5 days the Wiccan/Neo-Pagan wheel will be on Samhain. I've been following my own Path for 25+ years, and am NOT Wiccan, but it has always been far easier to blithely follow that Wheel of the Year, since so many Pagans are familiar with it. But, I'm having second thoughts about some things concerning Samhain, and these will be the things I hope to explore more deeply in this next year.

For example, the big thing about Samhain that is bugging the heck out of me (thanks to Dawn...one of the engineers who need "more data" *sticks tongue out at Orion*) is that it is claimed that "the veil between the worlds is thinnest at Samhain". That's the reason the Pagans use that time to contact those who have crossed the veil (or passed away for anyone who might read this and is not pagan.)

I have realized that while many things can be traced back to some degree to a legend or myth, I have never seen anything said about *what* makes this time of year the most likely for the veil to be thinest! And I have a decently large library of pagan reference books.

When I return from lunch, I'm going to pull each one out and double check for anything I may have glossed over in all the years. I'll report my findings and then consider the discussion open!

4 comments:

Tracey said...

Hiya Kate!

I followed your link over from Orion's site....Hope you don't mind? I'd like to link you up with mine if it's okay with you?

Take care!

Kate said...

No problem! I'll do the same for you once I figure out HOW! LOL

Orion said...

My thoughts are this:

At this time everything is shifting from one mode to another.

From fall to winter, life to death/sleep - it's a transition from our world to the next and hence the easiset time to move from one to the other.

Orion

Kate said...

But see, Orion, that's logical from your viewpoint...but what I'm looking for is *fact* I'll address more in my next posting, but what you're saying may be based on "faith" because that's what you've read/heard about Samhain.